Unity Lutheran Church of Berwyn is a new congregation formed in 2011 by the consolidation of Berwyn United Lutheran Church and First Lutheran of Berwyn. We live out our mission by serving in a variety of ministries including providing emergency shelter through West Suburban PADS, supporting our youth who recently attended the Youth Gathering in New Orleans, providing material support to Refugee One, an organization that provides resettlement services to refugees in the Chicago area, collecting monetary gifts and food for the CBS Anti-Hunger Foundation, and providing Christmas gifts for needy students' families at Morton West High School. ULC is proud to be a Reconciling in Christ Congregation. 

     Both of the original congregations have interesting pasts. Berwyn United Lutheran Church was organized in 1917 as Wartburg Evangelical Lutheran Church with services in German and English. A frame building, built by the men of the church at the corner of 24th Street and 62nd Court (now Harvey Avenue) was dedicated that year. A few years later a new church was built and in 1934 the name was changed to Berwyn United Lutheran Church. In January, 1950 the cornerstone was laid for the current church building.


 


 







First Lutheran started out as a dream of seven Swedish women in a sewing circle. That dream became a reality in February, 1898 when the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Augustana Congregation of Berwyn was chartered with 46 names plus 22 children. The Swedish families came from a Chicago suburb called Stockholm in the early 1890's. The current lot was purchased for $900 and the cornerstone of the building was laid in December, 1899. Brick by brick the building grew. Tradition has it that the height of the steeple was too much for the bricklayers, who at a certain point became afraid to climb so high. So it was the pastor who carried the bricks up the ladder for the tallest part of the construction. In 1927 the name was changed to the First Lutheran Church of Berwyn, and all services, except for a few in Swedish, were in English. A satellite counseling office of Lutheran Social Services of Illinois was opened in the 80's.

  In both the congregations' rich history they collectively supported many ministries including Lutheran Orient Mission, the CBS Anti-Hunger Foundation (which one of our Berwyn United members helped found), West Suburban PADS, Lutheran Outdoor Ministries Center in Oregon, IL, The Missionary for a Day Program, Sarah’s Inn, and Bethel New Life, and provided meeting space for organizations including Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Weight Watchers, Alcoholics Anonymous, and the Presbyterian Church of Berwyn.